< Back to home page

Pomfret

Pomfret

Address

5 Haven Road (Pomfret Center ) Pomfret, CT

County

Windham

Year Built

1873

Year Town/City Established:

1686--Incorporated 1713

Population:

4,204

Pomfret

The current town office building was originally constructed in 1873 as the chapel for the Adventists in Pomfret. In the years after that use it has had numerous other uses including as part of a convalescent hospital and a school dormitory. In the 1970’s it became the Town Office Building.
The town’s first office building, (pictured below), was purpose built by the town in 1841 as the Pomfret Town House, and is located on 17 Town Road. Town meetings were held there until the 1970’s. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is now maintained by the Pomfret Historical Society.

Photograph by Walter Hinchman of Pomfret